AWAKE BIBLE IN A YEAR MARCH 21
Read Joshua 11-14
Caleb inherits the land! His land is called Hebron and means ‘unite’ and has a range of meanings in the root understanding from ‘colleague to friend’.
Caleb’s declaration of faith is powerful, pray it for your family. Joshua 14:7-12 is rich with faith! Consider writing a declaration of your own.
And then the land had rest from war. There is a commanded blessing in unity. Rest found in our friendships and alliances.
- PSALM 133:1-3
- “How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron’s beard, down on the collar of his robe. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the Lord bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.” Psalms 133:1-3 NIV
- Historians suggest this Psalm was written after many years of conflict when all Israel united in Hebron to make David king. After conflict each ruling faction in Israel is compelled to unite and surrender to the anointed king and worthy leader. Even today WHO is more worthy of unity than Christ Jesus? In HIM we live together and we listen to his prayer for our oneness in John 17. IN HIM our posture is “I have need of you” and IN HIM conflict surrenders to common need especially within the Ecclesia. In HIM the faithful are characterized essentially by brotherly love, hands extended in welcome fellowship. In verse two, unity’s blessing is upon God’s people for holy service. And in verse three, unity’s blessing extends to the land for fruitfulness and an abundance of life. This passage provokes a personal question addressing our motives, “Is this for eternal glory? Psalm 133 helps us understand true unity ultimately equips God’s people for holy service and will bring fruitfulness, a nod to Christ’s words in John 15.
- Where there is unity there is a commanded blessing.
- FATHER IN HEAVEN, Let the blessings of unity fall on us. Lord equip us for holy service and let fruitfulness characterize our work. In Christ unite us around our common KING taking down walls of hostility and creating peace. When and where we have excluded or sided with division, forgive us. When we have prioritized our preferences forgive us. May we invite all our fellow citizens, the whole family in heaven and earth to the table of Christ and HIS fellowship. You are worthy. Amen
- Where have I already experienced the blessing of unity? Under what circumstances?